Directly to navigation - skip meta navigation |
To contents - skip navigation |
To multi purpose bar - skip contents |

Applying with non-German qualifications

Qualifications obtained outside Germany will be evaluated under a system designed by the federal consortium of education ministers in Germany (The Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany). The system used to assess the comparability of non-German qualifications is a database called anabin.

Applicants can view the criteria used to assess qualifications in the DAAD Database ,which contains the recommendations of the Standing Conference.

The HBK Braunschweig uses uni-assist, the working service point for international student applications, for an initial assessment of non-German qualifications. Uni-assist will evaluate your qualifications and issue a VPD, a preliminary review document.

Qualifications can be submitted to uni-assist for evaluation throughout the year, independently of the HBK Braunschweig application deadline.


Get information in advance (uni-assist)


Once you have completed your online application, you must then submit the following documents in hard copy by the application deadline:

  • Application for admission (the print-out of the PDF of your online application)
  • CV
  • VPD from uni-assist
  • Proof of language proficiency in German

Language proficiency

International applicants must provide a certificate of language proficiency in German, in the form of a certified copy. This must be submitted together with your other application documents.

The following qualifications are acceptable as proof of language proficiency:

  • DSH German language exam for university entrance with an overall result of DSH-2 or above.
  • TestDaF in German as a second language. You must pass all four parts of the TestDaF with a minimum result of Level 4 in each part.
  • University qualification exam obtained from a Studienkolleg (preparatory course).
  • DSD German language diploma at advanced proficiency level (DSD II).
  • Certificate of having passed Goethe C2 exam.
  • Certificate of having passed the ‘telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule’ exam.
  • Austrian Language Certificate (ÖSD) C2

If you do not provide a certificate of language proficiency by 15 July, you will not be admitted to the university and will not be able to register. You will need to resubmit your application in the following year. For applicants for the Master’s degree programmes in Art History and Aesthetics and in Media Studies, the proof of language proficiency must be submitted by the application deadline.

Note for students applying through the artistic application procedure:

If you have not obtained your language certificate by the application deadline of 15 March, you can still apply if you meet the following conditions:

  • Proof that you have registered for one of the above-named language tests and that you will obtain the result by 15 July, and
  • Proof of participation in a German language course at minimum B2.2. level.

The HBK Braunschweig does not offer language courses. However, courses are available at the Technische Universität Braunschweig Language Centre.


Obtaining a visa for the purposes of learning German

If you need to apply for a visa in order to participate in a language course preparing you for study in Germany, you must submit the following documents to the HBK Braunschweig:

  • International Application Form
  • Proof of registration on a language course preparing you for one of the above-named tests
  • Certificates of education (as you would submit when applying for a degree course)

The HBK Braunschweig will need around four weeks to process these documents in addition to the usual application procedure. A fee of 30 Euros is payable in order for us to issue you with confirmation of your application and to process your education certificates.

Last amended by Office for Press and Communication on 20.07.2021

International Office
Susanne Fleischhacker


+49 531 391 9141